[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Sampert

gpvjem gpvjem at sasktel.net
Mon Nov 5 07:14:36 PST 2007

    It is unlikely that there is a correlation between the names Sampert and Senkpeil.  Senkbeil is of Low German origin from about 1471.  In some areas (including Poland) the name does appear to have gone through several mutations with Schinkel, Senkbeil, Senkpfeil, Sengbeil, Singbeil even Zinkbeil in Bessarabia.

John Marsch

--------------------------------

  Lloyd,
  There is one Sampert in the Michalki, Rypin, Plock church records and lots
  of Senkpiel/Senkpyl that I have thought might be a variation, maybe Polish -
  don't know.  Maybe someone else can comment on that.

  Anyway, my ancestors come from this area back to the 1700/1800s and I have a
  number of names that originated in the UK such as Fagin, Fitsch, Meister
  (Master).  In those years the migration was eastward.

  Earl

  Message: 4