[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Sampert surname

karlann at juno.com karlann at juno.com
Wed Nov 7 19:01:28 PST 2007

I have also heard that German names ending in -ert are from Alsace-Lorraine. My grandfather an ethnic German born in Volhynia, always used the surname "Krampert" but it was "Krampitz" in Russia and on the passenger list when he immigrated to the US in 1912.   He changed it to the "Krampert" in the US. Does anyone know any source that might confirm the -ert surname and which might explain it?  I have not been successful in tracing my grandfather's family origins before they moved to Shitomir region in the 1870's.

Karla Walters