[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Sampert surname

Otto otto at schienke.com
Wed Nov 7 19:44:25 PST 2007

Evening Karla.

Language is living and in a constant state of flux.
Meanings are always shifting and changing.
Dialects of a language greatly affect the sounding out of a word.

The name "Kramp" has a suffix that morphed from "er"
"er" originally 'from the farm of'
It morphed into "ert" and "erd"
"er" has now come to indicate occupation, the original intent forgotten.
Examples: bak-er, walk-er, milk-er, farm-er, build-er, and so on.

To state it happened in a selected area is beyond my command of
linguistics.
Others may contribute a more in-depth view.

The variation between "ert" and "itz" may be the difference between
two different languages, and a choice in spelling of a surname is
made for subjective identity purposes. When I use term 'may', be
mindful I do not state 'is'.
An example is my own surname "Schien-ke". Some family members did not
feel comfortable with the 'ie' diphthong and removed the 'i' to spell
the surname "Schen-ke". It was now more German sounding to them, not
realizing they had changed their name to Schenke = "Tavern".

On Nov 8, 2007, at 3:01 AM, karlann at juno.com wrote:
> I have also heard that German names ending in -ert are from Alsace-
> Lorraine.

. . .   Otto

          " The Zen moment..." wk. of October 28, 2007-