[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] SCHWOCHOW/marlo50

Bronwyn Klimach bronklimach at gmail.com
Mon Nov 12 05:21:07 PST 2007

Hi,
I'm getting more terrified of these grammatical endings over time...
I recently had a nasty episode when Suchodole, which I suspected could be
Suchololy turned out to be Suchodol (with a couple of diacriticals of
course) from its position in a document - I just did not have enough
knowledge of the language to realise.  I now have some fancy grammatical
ending charts to look at, but not really enough knowledge of grammar to
apply them.  (Latin was almost unheard of when I went to school in
Australia;  I have been a little dismayed that my own children did not
pursue the subject when they had the chance at school.)

Meanwhile I have old maps showing Prenzlow for what is now consistently
Prenzlau.
I'm afraid I am still uncertain when to pronounce -ow- endings as -au- or
-ov- for unfamiliar words and places...

The many helpful and informative postings to this list are much appreciated.
Bronwyn Klimach