[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Cossacks in Poland

Cynthia Howland bluebird07 at bellsouth.net
Tue Oct 9 08:01:37 PDT 2007

Hello List,

Mention of the  Gypsies and others reminded me of the earlier mention of
Cossacks.    Both of my grandparents, who lived in Congress Poland around
the turn of the century, 1889-1913, told stories of Cossacks riding thru
town and shooting at people, also striking children with their whips (riding
crops?)as they rode by.  My grandfather said he was struck on the head on
one occasion.    They lived in Zyrardow and the small villages nearby.

My limited study of Russian history leads me to think that these Cossacks
may have been part of the troops employed by the Czar to suppress unrest in
the kingdom.     There was a widespread insurrection in 1905 as well as much
unrest throughout all of that period of time.   One of the things I enjoy
about searching out family history is learning world history at the same
time.    This mailing list and the SGGEE journals are very helpful!

Cynthia Howland