[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Occupation

Günther Böhm GHBoehm at ish.de
Fri Oct 19 00:34:40 PDT 2007

Jerry Frank schrieb:

 >My German-English dictionary states that Schatulle = casket so it
 >appears you are on the right track.

Jerry,
in East Prussia there were so called 'Schatulldörfer' which directly
depended on the private royal cache box [budget].
Schatulldörfer were founded by order of elector Friedrich Wilhelm in
wood clearings since most of the woods were owned by the Prussian
elector (since 1701 king). Their inhabitants were called 'Schatuller'.
Schatulldörfer had certain privileges which were lifted in 1713 by king
Friedrich Wilhelm I. Subsequently, many inhabitants of former
Schatulldörfer emigrated to Poland.

Schatulle = royal cache box
Schatulldorf = village paying taxes directly to the private royal budget
(first colonies, their inhabitants juridically and fiscally independent
of local lordships)
Schatuller = free colonist

Günther