[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Occupation

Günther Böhm GHBoehm at ish.de
Fri Oct 19 01:21:43 PDT 2007

Günther Böhm schrieb:

>Schatulle = royal cache box
>Schatulldorf = village paying taxes directly to the private royal budget
>(first colonies, their inhabitants juridically and fiscally independent
>of local lordships)
>Schatuller = free colonist

Nell & Gary,
a minor but necessary addendum to my message:
in the relevant time and local frame the name 'Schatuller' did no more
indicate an inhabitant of an East Prussian Schatulldorf but was
generalizing used for 'free colonist'. It probably appears just in
Polish or Russian colonies which were founded by former inhabitants of
East Prussian Schatulldörfer. So we can say something about the
background of the specific colony and its founders.

Günther