[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Occupation - Chatuller - Schatuller-Chatoullguetter

Sig Matt sigmatt at sbcglobal.net
Sat Oct 20 16:23:49 PDT 2007

Nell, Jerry, Guenther and all,

  Another minor point.
  My "Wahrig Deutsches Woerterbuch" 1980, states:

  Schatulle :
  Kaestchen, (small box) fuer Geld oder Schmuck; Privatkasse eines                 Fuersten oder Staatsoberhauptes, [ lat. scatula  "Geldschrein",
  frz. chatouille "Geldkassette, Schmuckkaestchen"]

  That seems to point pretty clearly to the 'chatoullgueter' that Guenther mentioned,
  which would lead to the "chatuller - Schatuller".

  Sig Matt

"Schemioneck, Nell" <Nell.Schemioneck at AirservicesAustralia.com> wrote:
  Can anyone tell me what a "chatuller" might be? I've found it as an
occupation in Czcychen church records from the early 1800s. I can't
find it in any Ger-Eng dictionaries.

Thanks

Nell Schemioneck
Australia