[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Kopylowski and Gorczycki

Richard Stein ra_stein at telus.net
Sun Oct 21 12:51:08 PDT 2007

>From Skulsk Catholic parish records, Eleonore Ziebart of Gawrony married Andreas Kopylowski of Roznowo in 1826.  From Slesin Catholic records, Eleonore Ziebart is the mother of children born in Roznowo in 1827, 1829, and 1832; the father's name is given as Andreas Gawronski, Andreas Gorczycki (not sure of this spelling), and Zecm or Zum.  Skulsk and Slesin are neighboring parishes west of Sompolno.

I believe all 4 records relate to the same couple but, with the discrepancies in the father's name. one can't be certain.  The name Eleonore is quite unusual in these parishes, and her surname is consistently given as Cybart (= Ziebart).  I haven't found any matches to this couple in the SGGEE pedigree database other than the marriage record cited above.

Does anyone have an explanation for Andreas' inconsistent surnames?  Did he not know his real surname and just gave whatever came into his head?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Dick Stein
Calgary, Canada