[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Abbreviations

Günther Böhm GHBoehm at ish.de
Tue Oct 23 00:49:15 PDT 2007

rlyster at telusplanet.net schrieb:

>Our church is making a Remembrance Day display of ALL war veterans and have
>asked me for a photo of my Dad along with regiment, etc.  I have a photo and
>there are abbreviations on the back:
>
>2 Gren. __isbl. Batl. (Hot) 42
>
>Erlangen, Hitfor  (I know Erlangen is the place he trained at)

Hello Rita,
it should read

    2/Gre.Aus.Btl.(mot) 42

and means

    2. Kompanie, Ausbildungs-Bataillon (motorisiert) Nr.42
    [Ausbildung = training]

The Grenadier-Ausbildungs-Bataillon 42 was deployed 26 Aug, 1939 in
Bayreuth and originally subjected to Division Nr.193 (replacement for
the 46th Infantery Division). Since 28 Jul, 1941 it was sujected to the
Division Nr.173. On 7 Apr, 1943 it was renamed to Grenadier-Ersatz- und
Ausbildungs-Bataillon 42.

I don't find anything like 'hitfor'. There was a village 'Hüttendorf'
which belongs to Erlangen since 1972.

Günther