[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] LODZ FHC FILMS

Rose Ingram roseingram at shaw.ca
Tue Oct 23 17:05:34 PDT 2007

Mike,
I see Hannes has found Rudolf on Ellis Island.  This only gives his last place of residence as Lodz, not birth place.

Search the Polish Pradziad database at http://baza.archiwa.gov.pl/sezam/pradziad.php?l=en.
Type Lodz in the first box and choose ewangelicko augsburskie in the demonination box and hit search. You will see Lodz about 2/3 way down the page.

There are two birth (urodzenia) lines shown, if you click the work "more" on each line, you will see they are from two different lutheran churches, see the fond on this page.  One from the Lodz Trinity church, (Parafja Sw. Trojca,), which records have been microfilmed up to 1876, copies of which the LDS have, and other from Parafja Sw. Jana, which have not been microfilmed.

Since only Lodz Trinity has records covering the 1880 time period this could be where Rudolf's birth record may be, if indeed he was born here.  You could write in English, to the email address shown and ask them to do a search.   If they find something, they will let you know by email, in Polish, and tell you how much money to send and where.

If they find nothing for you, at least you  have eliminated this parish.

Do you have Rudolf's Naturalization documents?  This should inidicate where he was born.

Rose Ingram

  From: Hannes Werner

  Hi Mike,
  the link was too long. So, one had to put it together manually. I repeat it
  for those who don't find the full link.
  The person is:
  Rudolf MANCEI, 23 years old, arrived on Oct 31, 1903 New York, from Bremen,
  on SS. Rhein,
  last residence: Lodz, nationality: Russia

  I suggest he was born 1880 in Russia, maybe Volynia.

  Hannes Werner
  Germany