[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Anybody ever see the surname Ratt?

Karl Krueger dabookk54 at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 30 08:06:04 PDT 2007

After Rose's inquiry about Wolter (Walter) I thought I would throw another name in the pot. I recently have seen the name Ratt in two different instances from a group that likely had similar origins before moving to eastern Poland. In one of these cases Karoline z Ratt (1839) is referred to as Karoline z Tarrun (Taron) by the late 1840s and remains as such until her death. EWZ records also call her maiden name Taron so the family line only remembered her "more recent surname". To make matters more confusing her husband was Samuel Taron so on the 1839 record Samuel is still called Taron while Karoline is a Ratt (pardon the pun).

  If it matters, the name Taron is likely of French Huegenot origin. Anyone have any good explanations what is going on here? Did everyone just forget her real maiden name or is there something else going on I don't recognize?

  PS - other evidence argues against Samuel marrying twice (Ratt and Taron).