[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] WWI and War Wives

Richard Benert benovich at imt.net
Wed Oct 31 11:12:51 PDT 2007

Rita,

Since you've told me that the village concerned here was Milaszew (which is
fairly far west in Volhynia), it is possible that your grandfather's wife
was among those who took advantage of the close proximity of the advancing
Austrian/German army and hid in the woods, thereby avoiding the expulsion to
inner Russia and putting themselves in a position to be "captured" by the
Germans, who treated them a good deal better.  Many of these people wound up
in Germany.

The fact that her husband was a Russian soldier makes no difference.  The
Russians deported nearly everyone, regardless of whether a family member was
fighting for Russia.

Dick Benert