[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Buczewie/Budziewic

Ron Neuman ron at neuman.ca
Sun Sep 2 12:43:52 PDT 2007

Thank you to all of those who replied regarding the location of the
village of Buczewie/Budziewic.

The suggestions by Gunther Bohm and Jutta Dennerlein regarding the
village of Bilczew (about 9 km ssw of Lubstow) will be my next step
in pursuing Johann and Andreas Neumann.

I intend to order the Catholic Parish records for that area, and I
will likely start with Kramsk which is about 2 km south of Bilczew.

In order for Bilczew to be the correct village, that would mean that
my Neumann ancestors (and quite likely other German settlers) were
living in that village as early as 1737 (Johann Neumann died in 1819
at the age of 82 years, which would put his year of birth as about
1737.  His son, Andreas Neumann, died in 1849 at the age of 67, which
would mean that he was born about 1782.

The birth of Andreas Neumann in 1782 in Bilczew seems quite possible
to me, as there certainly were Germans in that area of Poland in the
1770's.  I do, however, wonder about the birth of Johann Neumann in
1737 in Bilczew - would that not be a bit early for Germans in this
area?  If anyone has any thoughts about Germans being in this area in
1737, I would be most interested in hearing your ideas.

If this village of Bilczew is not the answer, then I will try the
suggestions provided by Jerry Frank.