[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Location of Morkowie / Merkowie

Richard Stein ra_stein at telus.net
Tue Sep 4 09:26:26 PDT 2007

Thanks to all who responded to my query.  The suggestion that Morkowie / Merkowie is the maiden name of Anna Elisabeth is a possibility.  I didn't think of this because usually the maiden name, if given, comes immediately after the given name, i.e. the record would read "Syn Woyciecha i Anny Elzbieta z Morkowie Malzonkow Rachuiow ..."  .  I'm not very knowledgeable about Polish endings, but I have seen that a surname in this position more often ends with "ow" rather than "ie" or "owie".  The Pedigree database contains the names "Merk" and "Merke" which possibly could be the root for "Merkowie".

Dick Stein