[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Location of Morkowie / Merkowie

Rose Ingram roseingram at shaw.ca
Tue Sep 4 13:03:13 PDT 2007

I totally agree with you Dick.

In the first context you cited, the 'z' would mean "with, from".   Yes, "z' also means maiden name if it is written within in the woman's name.

In your document, the 'z' is written after the parents names, which usually means or relates to the person they are focusing on, in this case Jakob.  They did not use commas.  Although it is not clear whether Jakob was born or 'from' Morkowie (Markowo may be written in the side column of the entry), I still would stick with my theory and checkout the parishes near Markowo.   Kruszyn and Brzecs are close, then Lubraniec.

Rose Ingram
  From: Richard Stein

  Thanks to all who responded to my query.  The suggestion that Morkowie / Merkowie is the maiden name of Anna Elisabeth is a possibility.  I didn't think of this because usually the maiden name, if given, comes immediately after the given name, i.e. the record would read "Syn Woyciecha i Anny Elzbieta z Morkowie Malzonkow Rachuiow ..."  .  I'm not very knowledgeable about Polish endings, but I have seen that a surname in this position more often ends with "ow" rather than "ie" or "owie".  The Pedigree database contains the names "Merk" and "Merke" which possibly could be the root for "Merkowie".

  Dick Stein