[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Location of Morkowie / Merkowie

Richard Stein ra_stein at telus.net
Tue Sep 4 16:26:15 PDT 2007

Thanks to everyone who responded to my query both privately and through the
mailing list.  I am inclined to accept the assessment from Gary (below) that
the name Morkowie / Merkowie corresponds to a place with the name Morkowice
or Merkowice. However, I will remain open to other possibilities such as
Markowo.

A search in Shtetl Seeker for Merkowice and Morkowice yields 10 or so names
with spelling Markowice, Mirkowice, and Morkowice, but no Merkowice.  The
most promising possibilities appear to be
    Markowice at 52/43, 18/13, or 91 km ENE of Posen (this is the one I
looked at in a preliminary way already)
    Mirkowice at 52/48, 17/24, or 52 km NE of Posen

Dick Stein