[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Interlink Bookshop - European content

Rose Ingram roseingram at shaw.ca
Sat Sep 8 10:53:30 PDT 2007

The following may be of interest to some.

Rose Ingram.
--------------------

Dixie's UPDATE from Interlink Bookshop ---
New Titles, Special Pricing and Reminder of an Upcoming Event

Newly Available
(All prices in Canadian funds. Shipping/taxes extra)

Just released! The eighth edition, dated 2007-2008 ...
Marco Polo Polska Atlas Drogowy -- 1:200,000 Road Atlas of Poland
(POL012) Showing the freeway construction done over the past couple of years. By Marco Polo (formerly RV Verlag, and formerly Euro Atlas). This is the best Polish atlas. There are 236 pages of maps (1:200,000), a 75-page town-name index, eight regional maps (1:100,000) that show main arterials, 65 city maps (1:20,000) that show major streets, and four general maps (1:4,000,000) of Central Europe. This atlas has a wire spiral binding, so the pages turn easily. 8-1/2" by 11-1/2", in color. 395 pages. We have been forced to raise the price on this atlas because of rising costs all along the line. However, this atlas was out of stock for several months, and several people asked about it while it was not available. Because of that, we will honour the old price -- $45 Canadian -- on all orders received on or before Sept. 12.

Just Published -- Polish-German map, Lodz and east Wartheland
PL0012 In the superb series of modern 1:200,000 scale maps that show town names in two languages -- German, and for this map, Polish. If you buy just one map in your research of this area, it should be a Hoefer map. These maps make it possible to do immediate cross-referencing between sources. The series covers all former German areas now in other countries.
$15.95 each

Latest edition - Germanic Genealogy
A Guide to Worldwide Sources and Migration Patterns. Third Edition 2007. By Edward R. Brandt, Ph.D., Mary Sutter Bellingham, Kent Cutkomp, Kermit Frye, Patricia Adams Lowe and Paul Sternberg. For beginning to advanced genealogists. How to get started on your genealogical research, find your ancestor's place of origin, use passenger lists, read German script, use church and civil records, locate research facilities. New in this edition: Regionally specific resources for Germany. Expanded sections on Austria, Luxembourg and Switzerland. New material for East, East Central and Southeast Europe. More detailed information for Canada. Expanded and revised information for over 90 countries. Updated chapter about the Family History Library. Expanded list of gazetteers, atlases and maps. Many websites for internet research. Over 50 per cent more content than previous edition. 658 page softcover book. $55.00
****
Available Again - German-English Genealogical Dictionary
By Ernest Thode. This book is designed for the family researcher who has little or no knowledge of German but who nevertheless needs to make a translation of German-language documents. The dictionary covers thousands of German terms and defines them in single words or brief phrases.

All words, symbols, and abbreviations in the dictionary were chosen on the basis of their association with genealogy, having been noted in church records, civil registration records, family correspondence, genealogical journals, ships' passenger lists, and emigration records. Among the many categories of entries included in the dictionary are family relationships, days of the week, map terms, legal terms, cardinal and ordinary numbers, roman numerals, signs of the zodiac, coins, liquid and dry measures, measures of length, place names, historical territories, geographical terms, occupations, titles, military ranks, types of taxes, illnesses, calendar days, male and female given names, heraldry, abbreviations, books of the Bible, and common genealogical words from Danish, Dutch, French, Latin, and Polish.

In conjunction with a standard German-English dictionary, the user of this work should be able to make a word-by-word translation of any German document and understand it. $40.00

New From Stuart Raymond - NETTING YOUR ANCESTORS
Tracing Family History on the Internet
The internet is now the first port of call for most beginning family historians. It has a vast amount of information - but it is not always easy to find your way around. In this book, Stuart Raymond, author of many acclaimed genealogical handbooks, takes you on a tour. He points out where to find the information you need to trace your British family tree, how to assess the value of internet evidence, and how to avoid the various pitfalls that are waiting to entrap you.
Contents: Introduction: the Three Revolutions Family History Research Finding Information Sources Tracing Ancestral Occupations Institutions: Libraries, Record Offices and Family History Societies Solving Problems and Getting Help: Geography, Dates, Handwriting, Latin and Professionals Buying Books, CDs and Fiche Online Obtaining More Help and Making Contact Ireland Scotland Wales Offshore Islands  $21.00

Also - Our initial stock of this item sold out before we ever advertised its availability so we are now taking preorders for our second shipment of ...

Evidence Explained: Citing History Sources from Artifacts to Cyberspace
Elizabeth Shown Mills

The definitive guide to the citation and analysis of historical sources.

It begins with a simple question:
Why do we invest so much of our energy into the citation of sources?

Followed immediately by the intriguing answer:
Because all sources are not created equal.

As a citation guide, Evidence Explained is built on this simple question and answer.
Evidence Explained has two principal uses: it provides citation models for most historical sources-especially original materials not covered by classic citation guides such as The Chicago Manual of Style. Beyond that it can help us understand each type of record and identify each in such detail that we and our readers will know not only where to go to find our source, but, equally important, the nature of that source so that the evidence can be better interpreted and the accuracy of our conclusions properly appraised.
    * Covers all contemporary and electronic sources not discussed in traditional style manuals, including digital, audio, and video sources
    * Explains citation principals and includes more than 1,000 citation models for virtually every source type
    * Shows readers where to go to find their sources and how to describe them and evaluate them
    * Teaches readers to separate facts from assertions and theory from proof in the evaluation of evidence

Most Importantly Evidence Explained discusses source citations for every known class of records, including microfilm and microfiche, and records created by the new digital media:
Websites; Digital books and journals; DVDs; CDs; Audio files; Podcasts; E-zines. $55.00

CLEARANCE PRICED!

Jewish Roots in Poland: Pages from the Past and Archival Inventories
By Miriam Weiner. In cooperation with the Polish State Archives. Makes available, in a concise and readable form, the inventories of records relating to the Jewish experience in Poland that are held in archives throughout Poland. It is illustrated with hundreds of antique and contemporary photographs of Polish cities and towns; and the depth and scope of its genealogical resource lists will help many Jews find amazing truths about their heritage. Large (9" x 11 1/4") 446 page hardcover book. Was $85.00
Clearance Priced ... $72.50 including shipping and taxes
(Shipping within Canada or to the USA - Price good while supplies last)

Upcoming Events
Dave will be at a seminar in Smithers, B.C. on Sept. 15/16. More information is on Interlink's Coming Events page.

As always, he will have a selection of books and maps from Interlink, but we can't bring everything we stock. If you have any special requests, please let as know as soon as possible.

Prices quoted are in Canadian funds.

If further information is needed, send an e-mail to me at dixie at interlinkbookshop.com.

Visa, Mastercard and American Express purchases can be made using our secure
order form - use this link:
<<<https://www.islandnet.com/~daveobee/secure/ccform.html>>>

Thank you.
Dixie