[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Name of town

Jerry Frank FranklySpeaking at shaw.ca
Sun Sep 9 14:56:45 PDT 2007

A map of German settlements in Bessarabia can be found at
www.scholtoi.de/PDF/DeutscheBessarabien.pdf  .  It is a pdf file so
it can be printed out but it might be difficult to read the place
names.  Better to enlarge it on screen for readability.

While the majority of German settlements were in the south as Carolyn
states, there were some in the northern region as well.  Significant
numbers of northern German Bessarabians travelled to Podolia so they
could be married by a Lutheran pastor there rather than waiting for
one to travel up from the south.

Most of the southern settlements remain in Ukraine but a large number
to the north (very roughly north of the 46 deg 30 min parallel) and
to the west (29 deg) are today in the country of Moldova.

Jerry Frank - Calgary, Alberta
FranklySpeaking at shaw.ca