[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Name of town

Allyn Brosz zsorba99 at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 10 13:39:24 PDT 2007

The Bessarabian village of Alt-Posttal, originally known as Posttal until the founding of Neu-Posttal in the 1860s, is located in Ukraine, and the longitude/latitude coordinates are 46 degrees, 09 minutes north; 29 degrees, 05 minutes east. Because Alt-Posttal was founded as a spin-off of the colony of Wittenberg, which was known by the Russian authorities as Malojaroslawetz, from 1824 onward, Wittenberg was Malojaroslawetz I and Alt-Posttal was Malojaroslawetz II. Alt-Posttal lies between Tarutino and Wittenberg. Today, Alt-Posttal is found on many maps as Maloyaroslavets Vtoroy. In Mapquest, however, the village shows up as Majojaroslavec' Druhj. Shtetlseeker http://www.jewishgen.org/Communities/ is a good search tool for locating towns in this part of the world but not every town is listed by its German name. When you do find the town, Shtetlseeker offers several mapping options, and the Mapquest link for Alt-Posttal is http://tinylink.com/?J7cY7F5fpF.

The actual Mapquest link is quite long; I use http://www.tinylink.com to create the shorter link that appears in the line above. It's a useful web tool to know about.

Best Wishes

Allyn Brosz
3416 Oliver St. NW
Washington, DC 20015-2554-16
GHRS Village Co--Coordinator for Alt-Posttal, Bessarabia

Besser a Glatze als gar koine Hoor!