[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Tatars

Jerry Frank FranklySpeaking at shaw.ca
Sat Sep 29 06:34:35 PDT 2007

Nelson is correct.  It does seem illogical that a Christian church in
that time and place would allow use by Muslims or that in fact
Muslims would want to use their church.  I am also not convinced that
there would be any significant community of Tatars living in that region.

I get the impression that many of our ancestors referred to the local
Ukrainian population as either Cossaks or Tatars.  I'm not sure why
that was.  From reading the history of Cossaks and Tatars, there
seems to be no evidence for them being in the Volhynian region.  It
seems that the term evolved to be applied to any of the local
populace - perhaps to the those of lowest social status such as
gypsies and bands of thugs that would raid a village from time to
time.  These are just some thoughts with little hard evidence to back them up.

Apparently Tatar is the more correct term but Tartar is an accepted
alternate.  See http://www.britannica.com/eb/topic-584107/Tatar

Jerry Frank - Calgary, Alberta
FranklySpeaking at shaw.ca