[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Help with Ethnic Surname Origins

Günther Böhm GHBoehm at ish.de
Wed Apr 23 02:58:50 PDT 2008

John Smith schrieb:
> I would like to determine the ethnic origins of the surnames listed below.
> I think they are Ukrainian, Russian or Polish, but they could also belong
> to another ethnicity. I have also included first names which may be helpful
> in determining ethnicity. Thanks so much for any insight.
>
> Petr and Hana Roshczinski
>
> Juri Zhilka
>
> Leonid Mosendz
>
> Nila Khaseviczova

Hello John,
Petr and Hana are definitelly Czech but ROSHCZINSKI (originally
ROCZYŃSKI or ROSZCZYŃSKI; www.herby.com.pl finds the first one 124 times
centered in the Bydgoszcz and Gdansk areas, the latter one 231 times,
their majority in the Warsaw area) is likewise definitely Polish. The
name derives from roszczenie = claiming, pretence, pretension.
Juri is Russian or Ukrainian (= George), ZHILKA is also Russian or
Ukrainian (жилка = vein, talent, inborn addiction).
Leonid is again Russian or Ukrainian (Leo, Leonidas), MOSENDZ (МОСЕНДЗ)
also though I think it derives from the Polish word 'mosiądz'
(pronounced 'mosiendz') = brass.
Nila may be an abbrevation of Danila (Daniela) but could also be the
genitive of Nil (Danilo = Daniel), the spelling of KHASEVICZ[ova] is an
American transcription of the Russian or Ukrainian ХАСЕВИЧ. Nil
CHASEWYCZ (Ніл Антонович ХАСЕВИЧ) was a Ukrainian graphic artist, born
1905 in the Volhynian villlage of Djuksyn ( see
www.artukraine.com/woodcut/upawoodcut01.htm ). Though there is also the
Polish spelling HASIEWICZ, the name seems to be more common in Ukraina
and of Ukrainian origin.

Günther