[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Why Did They Leave?

Richard Benert benovich at imt.net
Wed Apr 23 11:27:41 PDT 2008

By way of seconding Jerry's warning about family lore, let me relay a few
tidbits from Michail Kostiuk's new book, Die deutschen Kolonien in
Wolhynien.  He says that the earliest Mennonites received unlimited rental
agreements--even better than 99 years!  German settlers in Oleksandrowka in
1816 also got contracts with no time limit.  In 1835, however, Prussians
settling in Staryi Sapust and Stanislawowka could only wangle 20-year
contracts.  In the 1860s, he says, contracts varied between 20 and 40 years,
if I read him (or his translator) correctly. But soon the average contract
was limited to 12 years.

It should be noted, however, that the Peitsch family apparently rented their
land from the government.  The fact that some Germans rented government land
seems to be often overlooked.  According to Kostiuk, in 1903, 17,322 persons
on 507 separate settlements, rented government land. In the Owrutsch area,
such settlements began as early as 1807, and in Rowno area in 1812.
Unfortunately, Kostiuk says nothing about the terms of these contracts, but
could it be that the government might have offered a 99-year lease?  It
doesn't seem likely, but I think that we just don't know.

Incidentally, renters of state land had a harder time of it, says Kostiuk.
Officials wanted to treat them as regular "state peasants" rather than as
"settlers".  Ultimately, the government wanted to combat Germanization of
Volhynia by importing Russian peasants to the area.  Since the government
had more control over its own lands, it probably seemed natural to try to
force Germans off this land whenever they could so Russian peasants could
buy it with help from the Peasant Land Bank.  Forcing them to accept
"peasant" status was one way to do this (Kostiuk gives several examples).
EVEN IF the Peitsch family had a 99-year lease, some eager local official,
driven by nationalism to try to "russify" the area, might have maneuvered
the family off the land under some ruse or other, even long before the lease
had run out.  I'm just guessing, of course, but I think this is possible.

But just when you begin to think you understand the situation, up pops
another strange fact.  We know that the government (or rather some
officials) tried to clamp down on German landholding in Volhynia (again) in
1907.  Between 1901 and 1907, says Kostiuk, 8043 colonists were accused of
violating the 1892 law forbidding rental of land by Germans.  But of these
cases, only 503  actually made it to court.  More surprising yet, between
1908 and 1910, the Senate (a kind of supreme court) ruled increasingly in
favor of the colonists, considering rental agreements as "eternal" (ewiges
Mietverhältnis), and this forced local officials to extend contested rental
agreements.  If anyone can explain to me the difference between a
"Pachtvertrag" and a "Mietverhältnis", or why the Senate would have begun
favoring colonists while Governors, Ministers and Duma members were trying
to squelch them, I'd appreciate it.  Kostiuk has a way of raising questions
without answering, or even being aware of, them.

Anyway, thanks to Darrel and Jerry for raising the issue.  I wish we knew
more about it.

Dick Benert