[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] MANTEI / MANTEY / MANTAI

Helen Gillespie hgillespie at rogers.com
Fri Apr 25 19:11:08 PDT 2008

Hello,

I can add another Mantai to the ring although not
related directly to me.

My grandmother, Alwine (Baier)Bethke's paternal
grandparents - Daniel Baier and Karoline Schmidt(ke)-
joined their two sons, Adolf and Julius, in Benton
Harbor, MI area ca. 1903.  Their son, Adolf Baier was
married to Karoline Brenner and her mother was Pauline
Mantai.  Karoline Brenner's parents, Ferdinand and
Pauline (Mantai) Brenner did not go to America.  They
remained in Wolhynia, survived the deportation to
Siberia and return, but Pauline died in 1940, at age
73 (born in 1867), apparently during the "flight from
Russia" - which I understood to mean during the time
Germans were resettled to Warthegau. Ferdinand
apparently lived a few more years, but died in 1944.

A descendant of Julius Baiers (the family added an S
to their last name at some point)provided me with this
information.  Apparently a brother of Karoline
Brenner, Ewald Brenner, also went to the US and lived
and died in the Niles/Benton Harbor MI area.

BTW, there was a football player named Al Brenner ca.
1970s who was related to this family.  Perhaps there
are still family members in the area. He was a CFL
allstar and played for Hamilton, Winnipeg and lastly
for Ottawa in 1977.  And then he disappeared.  It's
still a mystery.

Also the Social Security Death Index has a William and
Martha Mantai b. 1896 and 1900 also in Berrien County
(Watervliet is near Benton Harbor) but also a Samuel
Lachmann so expect  there was some family connection.

My great grandmother Auguste Schulz married several
times, first an August Bethke, then after his death in
1900, she married a Lachmann, who was a widower with
some grown children.  They went to the US and after my
ggm's death in 1919, I think he went as well.  Don't
know his first name.

Helen