[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Konigsberg family

Paul Rakow rakow at ifh.de
Fri Aug 15 10:49:42 PDT 2008

  Ann,

     There are lots of records from Koenigsberg, most are now in Berlin.

    What will make it a little challenging is that it was a big city,
  with about 20 Protestant churches.

     What are the dates you are looking for? If it is before 1875, there
  is a surname card index to the Protestant baptisms and marriages in
  Koenigsberg, 1790 - 1874, which is probably the best place to start.
  The index has been filmed by the Mormons, the main film numbers are
  71607 to 71659.  That's 53 reels of microfilm just for the index!

      There are actually 4 main indexes,
  male baptisms
  female baptisms
  marriages sorted by the groom's surname
  marriages sorted by the bride's surname

  (There's also a separate index for Jewish converts, blacks and gypsies).

     Much of the material from the former Koenigsberg archive is now
  in Berlin, in the Secret State Archive, so once you've finished
  with the church records, there are still lots more research
  opportunities.

          I hope this is enough to get you started,

               Paul Rakow
               rakow at ifh.de
--------