[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Hildebrandt family name

Jerry Frank FranklySpeaking at shaw.ca
Mon Aug 25 07:54:33 PDT 2008

Welcome to the mailing list, Erwin.

Charlie Hildebrandt (I think now deceased) of Morden has done extensive research on Hildebrandts from Volhynia.  Not sure about how to tie into this research.  Perhaps John Marsch or others on this list can help with that.

If you browse around our website enough, you will find clues about the what and where of Volhynia.  We had a full hour session on it at our convention a couple of weekends ago.  Very simply, Volhynia was a province in the Polish / Lithuanian empire prior to the partitions of the late 1700s.  After that, it was a province (sometimes referred to as Gubernia) in Russia until WW I.  From 1921 through WW II, it was split in half with the east being in Poland and the west in Russia.  That probably explains why your father states he was born in Poland.  After WW II, it ceased to exist, being split into 3 districts in Ukraine consisting of Wolhyn, Rivne, and Zhitomir.  Wolhynien is the German spelling.

I recommend you have a look at the book, Historical Atlas of East Central Europe by Paul Magocsi for an overview of how boundaries changed over the past 2 1/2 centuries.  I'm sure it would be available in the Winnipeg Public Library.

An Oblast is a government district the equivalent of a county or municipality.  See also http://www.sggee.org/VolGub10.pdf

If you become a member of SGGEE, you will have access to our Journals which will fill in a lot of the detail regarding your questions.

Jerry Frank