[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Kwiatkowski - Bluemke

Dave Neumann denuma at rogers.com
Sun Aug 31 21:32:20 PDT 2008

Hello Otto:

Thank you for your most interesting response. It was packed full of useful
tips, for which I am grateful.

My maternal grandfather, Franz August Heinrich Kwiatkowski, was born in
Neufahrwasser, Danzig on 11 May 1872. His parents were Joseph Kwiatkowski
and Maria (born Bork). In the 1890s he left for Saxony to find work. There
he met and married my grandmother, Hedwig Lina Bauer, in Werdau where the
Bauers lived. I never met my grandfather, as he died in 1928 - long before I
was born. The information I have about him, I got from my aunt, who gave me
the Familienstammbuch her parents had brought with them from Germany. The
Kwiatkowski family emigrated to Montreal, Canada, in 1912. I always knew my
grandmother as Grandma Blume, because my grandfather legally changed the
family name to Blume when he got his naturalization (citizenship) papers. I
never understood why he did this or why he chose Blume, and my aunt ahd no
explanation. Indeed, when my last living aunt gave me that priceless family
document in 1983, it was the first time I had heard that my mother's family
name was Kwiatkowski. From my grandparents' Familienstammbuch, I was able to
determine a lot of information, such as where and when my five aunts were
born, and about two baby boys who did not survive. This birth and baptism
information also told me where the family had lived in Germany, and that
they had moved quite frequently - from Werdau to Leipzig, to Magdeburg, to
Berlin, and from there to Montreal.

Franz Kwiatkowski considered himself German, and according to my aunt, he
was very active in the German club in Montreal. When I asked my aunt where
my grandfather's grave was, she told me there wasn't one to find.
Apparently, he asked to be cremated, and his buddies from the German club,
put his ashes in beer bottles, went out in a boat on Lac St Louis, and
floated them down the St Lawrence River. Perhaps he thought they would find
their way across the Atlantic to Europe.

Using the information in the Familienstammbuch, in 2006 I made a trip to
Germany to re-trace the movements of my mother's family, and I was able to
trace my grandmother's ancestry in Vogtland, Saxony, back to before 1500.

I have just begun to work on my maternal grandfather's ancestry. Here's what
I know: He was Roman Catholic. At the time of his marriage to my grandmother
in 1900, his mother Maria Kwiatkowski (Bork), was still alive, but his
father, Joseph Kwiatkowski, had already passed away. My aunt told me that
her father had three siblings, two sisters (Ella and Johanna) and a brother
(Ziganke). I had never heard this name (Ziganke) before. This evening I went
on a website to examine maps of Danzig. I found Neufahrwasser, where my
grandfather was born, and at that time (1972) it was a growth area north of
Danzig proper. In looking over the maps I was startled to find another
district nearby called Zigankenberg. I wonder if there is any connection
between the name of this part of Danzig and the naming of their son? I do
not have any documentation of these siblings of my grandfather other than
what my aunt remembered hearing from her father.

Last year I ordered a film from the LDS, but had no success finding any
evidence of the marriage of Joseph and Maria or of the births of my
grandfather and his siblings. It is obvious that an interesting challenge
lies ahead. I know that my grandfather had two skilled trades. In the
marriage record he is listed as a Schlosser. He was also a marble finisher,
as my aunt told me that that is what brought him to Canada. According to my
aunt, he was hired to work as a marble finisher during the construction of
some downtown Montreal office buildings. He arrived there in 1911, leaving
his wife and five daughters in Berlin, and after working for a year he told
his boss that he needed to go back to Germany. His boss said, "We need you
here; bring your family to Canada!" His boss then paid for their way over
and the family was reunited. My grandmother and her five daughters were very
active in the local German Lutheran church; my aunt told me that her father
was RC but not religious. He had no problem with the children being raised
as Lutherans.