[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Spelling of Names for Database

Leo S sonnal at shaw.ca
Mon Dec 1 21:42:53 PST 2008

I am preparing a  family gedcom for submission to the Society for entry
in the Pedigree Database. While editing the information before sending
it I have noticed some anomalies in the spelling of family names within
individual families. The differences are between the family name
recorded in Polish church records and the name as recorded by
immigration clerks on landing in North America. The altered names then
remained in use on all records and documents by those who immigrated and
all descendants born here carry the modified name.
My question then is which spelling of the family name should be entered
in the gedcom - the Polish spelling, the North American spelling or both?

Leo Sonnenberg