[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] looking for families Stelter and Dreusner

Jerry Frank FranklySpeaking at shaw.ca
Sun Dec 14 15:37:21 PST 2008

Gil,

You can find a brief history of Moravian Brethren in Russian Poland
at
http://www.sggee.org/parish_histories/MoravianPoland/MoravianGeneralHist.html
.  We'd be pleased to have someone provide a similar summary for
those in Volhynia.

As I understand it, the Moravian Brethren originally were, what we
would call today, a para-church organization that sought to help
existing church people to improve their piety and devotion to
God.  Some Lutheran pastors would allow them to work within their
congregations while others vehemently rejected them.  It seems that
they evolved into a more formal independent denomination during the
19th century.

I would say that the vast majority of Moravian Brethren in Volhynia
were converted Lutherans.  A few of them migrated directly from
Russian Poland.  This conversion process, especially in the area
northwest of Zhitomir causes research problems for Baptists and
Moravians because their records did not survive while the Lutheran
ones did.  Depending on when the conversion took place, you may be
able to bridge that gap by researching the Lutheran records.

Your Stelter cousins often attend our conventions when they are in
Edmonton.  We have in the past featured Moravian Brethren history and
genealogy when meeting in Edmonton because of its proximity to those
settlements.   There are probably some articles about them in past
Journals but have not looked up what those might be.

Jerry Frank - Calgary, Alberta
FranklySpeaking at shaw.ca