[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Locating records

Richard Benert benovich at imt.net
Mon Dec 15 11:41:42 PST 2008

Herschuel---

Are you sure the removal from Poland was accomplished BEFORE W.W. I?  From
what you say, it sounds more like you're talking about the removal DURING
the war, probably in early 1915, when a few hundred thousand ethnic Germans
were sent into exile.  If there are any official records of the removal of
individual families from Poland during W.W. I, they haven't been found yet,
and most likely there aren't any.  It was all done in haste and disorder,
under military command.  Some Germans in Poland were exiled in the early
months of the war and were allowed to buy train tickets.  If the Russian
railroad administration preserved any records of this, such purchases might
be recorded, but so far as I know, no one knows whether this was done or if
such records still exist. If any records of your wife's aunt's retrieval of
her family property exist, I would think they would be in the court records
of whatever town or district they lived.  It would take someone more expert
than I on the current organization of Polish archives to tell you where such
records might now exist, if they survived W.W. II at all.  In short, we're
fighting against long odds in this matter.

Dick Benert