[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Milewski - some questions

F&RM Haddad farose at gmail.com
Wed Dec 17 09:41:38 PST 2008

First of all, thank-you to those who responded to the list and to me
privately about the "agreement before marriage" question I posed. It does
seem as if it could be an "artifact" of the Napoleonic format - legally
necessary though likely not culturally relevant.

Some questions about Milewski:

One is - is this a polonization of a German name, and if so, what is the
German name likely to be?

I have a pair of ancestors - Peter Sell and Anna Milewski who were married
in Mlawa, Poland, Mar. 1854. This information is at about 3rd hand - Peter
was 26 and Anna was 23. No place of birth is given for them (except
"Poland"). When I begin researching them, I would of course look in the
Mlawa records first. How much further afield could I reasonably expect to
find records for them, if they were not born in Mlawa?

Peter's mother was a Myskow. Again - is this a polonization of a German
name?

Thank-you in advance for your help.

Rose-Marie