[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] [Fwd: Re: Journey to Canada via Liepaja, Latvia, then Liverpool, England, and finally Montreal, Canada]

Jack Milner wjmilner at shaw.ca
Sat Feb 9 09:43:51 PST 2008

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: 	Re: [Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Journey to Canada via Liepaja,
Latvia, then Liverpool, England, and finally Montreal, Canada
Date: 	Sat, 09 Feb 2008 10:31:10 -0700
From: 	Jack Milner <wjmilner at shaw.ca>
To: 	Wilma Schultz <LydiaEm at shaw.ca>
CC: 	POSEN-L at rootsweb.com <POSEN-L at rootsweb.com>,
ger-poland-volhynia at eclipse.sggee.org
<ger-poland-volhynia at eclipse.sggee.org>, GR-GENEALOGY at LISTSERV.NODAK.EDU
<GR-GENEALOGY at LISTSERV.NODAK.EDU>

Hello Wilma,

The British conducted a major business transporting immigrants from
northern European ports by ship to Hull, England where they traveled by
train to Liverpool and thence onward by ship to the US, Canada and other
parts of the world. By 1907, migration via the UK was a fully integrated
business that was cheap, effective and profitable for the organizations
involved.   If your browser supports it, click on either of the links below.

Indirect passage from Europe  - Transmigration via the UK, 1836-1914
<http://www.jmr.nmm.ac.uk/server/show/conJmrArticle.28>
or
http://www.jmr.nmm.ac.uk/server/show/conJmrArticle.28

This paper is an examination of those European migrants who made the
decision to travel to the US and further afield indirectly via the UK.
Nicholas J. Evans, University of Hull / National Maritime Museum.

Yours truly,

Jack Milner