[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Ger-Poland-Volhynia Digest, Vol 57, Issue 4

Richard Benert benovich at imt.net
Sat Feb 9 15:40:29 PST 2008

If anyone is interested in knowing a little of the shenanigans in the
emigrant transportation industry in Russia in the early 20th century, you
can look in the first chapter of "The Foe Within" by Wm. C. Fuller, Jr.
This book is mostly about the spy hysteria in Russia during WW I, but the
most famous spy executed (though really innocent), Sergei Miasoyedov, had
been chairman of a newly founded (1908) company (Northwest Russian Steamship
Co.) that shipped emigrants to Hull, then Liverpool, then America.  The
company was owned by some Jewish brothers, and the connections Miasoyedov
made and scuffles he got into with competing firms (a Russian East Asiastic
Co. sailed directly from Libava to New York) helped to get him convicted as
a spy in 1915 (along with other things, of course).  It's a fascinating
read, if anyone's interested.

The only English source he cites for information on the shipping business in
that time is N.R.P. Bonsor, "North Atlantic Seaway", vol. 3.  There's a
French book called "Les Grandes Lignes de Paquebots Nord-Atlantique" by Rene
Fabre also.

Dick Benert