[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Journey to Canada via Liepaja, Latvia, then Liverpool, England, and finally Montreal, Canada

Nelson Itterman colnels at telus.net
Sat Feb 9 12:21:53 PST 2008

Hi Wilma:
My Family went by train from Zhitomir, Volhynia to Moscow, then by train to
Riga, Latvia. From Riga by ship (name not known) to London, England. The
stamp on the Passport  was "Landed as Transmigrant under Bond, 4 Jan 1927
Immigration Officer LONDON". By train to Liverpool, sailing from Liverpool
on the SS Marloch on 7 Jan 1927 arriving in St. JohnN. B. on Jan 18, 1927.
Then by train to Winnipeg. My father received  a card of identification from
Canadian Pacific Railway. Prepaid or nominated Identification Card.
Department of Colonization & Development. Certificate No. 7162. It was
issued on Dec. 22nd, 1926 in Moscow USSR. Signed by "GHHamford" That's what
it looks like. I assume on behalf of the Canadian Pacific Railway. It shows
his brother as the Purchaser of Prepaid or Nominator. The bearer as my
father with wife and three children is proceeding on S.S. Marloch sailing
from Liverpool 7 Jan 1927 to your address as above in accordance with your
application filed with us under which you have agreed to employ the said
colonist for a period of one year. This looks like a guarantee by a
Guarantor that his brother must have signed with the CPR, probably prepaying
the whole trip to Winnipeg.
I don't think that ocean going steamships sailed out of Latvia, thus the
trip to London on a smaller ship, possibly a mail packet.
Nelson