[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Deportations to Siberia

Sig Matt sigmatt at sbcglobal.net
Mon Feb 18 14:20:43 PST 2008

Hello Kyle,

I have no specific information re your EWZ questions. But here are some thoughts
about the "Siberian salt mines".

My father, who was born 1899 in Volhynia, and his family were relocated to the Omsk Region of Siberia
in about 1915. He worked 1 year at a flour mill who's owner had a German name. The mill was located
in a small village some distance from Omsk. After WWI the family moved back to their homestead
in Volhynia. Later my father moved to Germany, married, and all us children were born in Germany.

During WWII  5 second cousins of mine, who had also been living in Volhynia, with their families
relocated to the Warthegau through the EWZ system. In late 1944-45 they fled farther west as the
Russian front approached from the east. One family made it as far West as Leipzig, which eventually
was occupied by British troops. British Authorities handed them back to the Russians who stated they
would be going back to their home, but all 5 families landed in Siberia. One husband, who had become
separated from his family during the chaos of the invading Armies, on learning that his family had been
sent back to the promised land (Russia), returned voluntarily. They luckily reunited some time later in Siberia.

After the political change in Russia all 5 families relocated to Germany in the early 1990's.
Through a miraculously lucky incident we became reconnected in 1996. We had been unaware of each
others existence for over 60 years.
One aunt, who accompanied her extended family to Germany, praised God to allow her to breath freely.
She was laid to rest in German soil a year later at age 91.
In conversations with my relatives and my own research I have not run across anything that would indicate
any specific Russian Salt mines in that area. I believe the expression is a "figure of speech",
'Eine Redensart'.
If not, perhaps some experts will provide clarification.

While I am familiar with Saskatchewan winters,
Greetings to all from California

Sig Matt