[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Deportations to Siberia

Günther Böhm GHBoehm at ish.de
Tue Feb 19 03:15:06 PST 2008

Sig Matt schrieb:
> In conversations with my relatives and my own research I have not run across anything that would indicate
> any specific Russian Salt mines in that area. I believe the expression is a "figure of speech",
> 'Eine Redensart'.
> If not, perhaps some experts will provide clarification.

Hello Sig & Kyle,
there are indeed big and famous salt deposits in Siberia but quite far
in the east (Lena basin, Republic of Sacha [Yakutia]). An old salt mine,
now a subterranean church, was in Vilyúysk [Вилю́йск], Yakutia,
see
www.zeno.org/Fotografien/B/Russischer+Photograph%3A+Aufgegebenes+Salzbergwerk+in+Wiljuisk,+das+als+Kirche+benutzt+wird
. The oldest salt deposit was quite famous since it was originally
extracted on the banks of a river where it appeared in large piles after
each winter and thaw and melted again when the river grew broader in spring.

Maybe old lore was mixed up with the actual knowledge about Siberian
coal mines.

Günther