[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Researching ancestry in Tscheremoschne - a) LDS records b) immigration records c) SGGEE

Jerry Frank FranklySpeaking at shaw.ca
Mon Feb 25 19:27:47 PST 2008

Maria,

Unfortunately you cannot judge the relationship of parish to village
by distance alone.  Parish boundaries changed a lot over the years -
see http://www.sggee.org/parish_histories/church_history   In your
case, however, the village would have always been in the Zhitomir Parish.

You can do a preliminary search of extracted records at
http://www.sggee.org/databases or at
http://www.odessa3.org/collections/stpete/volhynia/ .  Using these
indices, you can then order in from the LDS the microfilms of
original documents so that you can verify the info.

3 Alwine Muellers are listed as born between 1880 and 1885 but no
match for yours nor are any Muellers shown to be living at
Tschermoshne.  You may find it difficult to search for the family due
to the commonness of the name.

There were Benke and Burkhard / Burchart at Kranaja Reschka which is
quite some distance north of Tschermoschna but there is a Krasnyshcha
only 6 km away so I wonder if this was extracted incorrectly.

Stremel is very uncommon and only appears once in Volhynian records,
6 in our database covering all of Russian Poland.

An important question is, "Were the family Lutheran or
Baptist?"  Only Lutheran records are available.

Did your family escape from Russia via Harbin, China?  We have
another Aussie member whose ancestry came via that route.  Membership
should be of value to you as you will have full access to all
databases as well as the Journals which offer historical and other information.

Jerry Frank - Calgary, Alberta
FranklySpeaking at shaw.ca