[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] baptists and lutherans

Dave Obee daveobee at shaw.ca
Tue Feb 26 21:34:38 PST 2008

You will find an
occasional entry for a Baptist in the Lutheran records, but only if the
Baptists involved chose to go to the Lutheran church at that time, for
whatever reason. So far, in my extended Baptist family in Volhynia, I
have found precisely one reference in the St. Petersburg Lutheran
records.

The Lutherans were not keeping track of the Baptists
any more than the Baptists were keeping track of the Lutherans. And
since you are not likely to find births in Baptist records, it would be
strange indeed for the Baptists to register births with the Lutherans.
The Baptists in Volhynia were devout, and not likely to toss away their
beliefs on a whim.

There is some confusion about this. Even the
people at the Zhitomir archives have assured me with a straight face
that the Baptists are found in the Lutheran records. And I assured them
right back that they were wrong.

Dave Obee