[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Baptismal certificate

Jerry Frank FranklySpeaking at shaw.ca
Wed Jan 2 10:02:00 PST 2008

Jane sent a copy to me privately so I will make some comments about
questions below and what is on the certificate.

First to clarify the church structure.  There was a church with a
pastor at Zhitomir.  Various German communities in the surrounding
countryside (sometimes extending  significant distances) would have a
school and/or a Betshaus or chapel.  The local community would have a
Kantor (sometimes referred to as a Kuester) who acted as a lay
minister.  This person could conduct baptisms and funerals.  The
pastor would travel a circuit once or twice a year to conduct
marriages and serve communion.

Ernst Roscher is identified as a Kuester and would have been the one
who performed the baptism in Michailoska.

I have not been able to identify anyone with the name F. Oberheu so
not sure who or what that is.

The marriage for Julianne's parents is registered in the St.
Petersburg microfilms in 1883.

The witness is Justina Disterhoff whose surname can have a variety of
spellings such as Duesterhoeft among others.

Michailoska is the tough question.  It almost certainly should be
Michailowka.  I can only find one (known to have had German
residents) in the Zhitomir Parish in your time frame located
approximately 16 km due west of Zhitomir.  There may be others that
have not yet been noted.

The Zwingelberg family is known to have been living at Lessowzisno in
1877.  This is probably Lesowschtschinsna located about 60 km north
of Zhitomir.  With some research on the other names in this document,
you might be able to find if they lived in nearby villages that would
help confirm if we have the correct Michailowka.

Jerry Frank - Calgary, Alberta
FranklySpeaking at shaw.ca