[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Catholic baptism noted in Gabin Evangelical Parish Register

Cornelia Warner fenenga at connpoint.net
Sun Jan 20 12:35:42 PST 2008

that's a good hypothesis, Worth,
I also have a single incident of a Catholic record noted in a Dutch Reformed
parish register. in this instance it was a marriage, and I'll have to "screw
my thinking cap on real tight" to remember what the rules were.
the Catholic church is not well thought of in the northern provinces of the
Netherlands, and if you married in the Catholic church, you then were
required to go through the process all over again in the Dutch Reformed
church-so the marriage would be recognised. but there was something else,
and that's eluding my memory. maybe someone else, on or off the list, will
remember...

in regards to the baptism, not only health may be the reason, but parents of
different faiths may have compromised and had the baby baptised in both
faiths, or if there was strife in the region, perhaps they weren't sure when
they could get to the church of choice? just some thoughts of why this may
occur.
Cornelia