[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Ingowangy

Otto otto at schienke.com
Sat Jul 5 10:43:21 PDT 2008

Harry,
(No. Braddock, Pa.) is North Braddock, Pennsylvania.
North Braddock is now a suburb of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.
North Braddock is about 8 miles southeast of Pittsburgh.
Census records are available for the area.
10 miles farther southwest is the town of Irwin where more Germans
settled.
See also Beaver Falls north of Pittsburgh.

My maternal grandfather, Rudolph Walter, settled there, North
Braddock, in 1905.
Many ethnic Germans out of Russian Poland settled there.
My mother was born in North braddock in 1908.

On Jul 5, 2008, at 1:10 PM, Worth Anderson wrote:

> Harry:  I did a quick search Ancestry.com, in their "New York
> Passenger Lists 1850-1927."  Anna Frendzel, age 16, appears in line
> 24 of the manifest for the Statendam, which sailed from Rotterdam on
> 23 June 1906 and arrived in New York on 5 July 1906.  There are two
> sets of handwriting on the manifest.  The first appears to have
> provided the basic information, and the second -- in a lighter, more
> rounded hand, possibly writing in pencil, added amplifying
> information.
>
> The second hand added that Anna Frendzel was step-sister of Augusta
> Frantz, age 19, who appears on line 23.  No occupation is listed for
> Frantz; the second hand noted that Frendzel was a "servant."  They
> were both ethnic Germans, both from "Ingowangy," and both headed to
> "No. Braddock, Pa."  Augusta passed was paid by an "uncle," while
> Anna's was paid by a "sister."  The first hand had written that they
> were each in possession of $5, but the second hand crossed that out
> and wrote, "none."  Augusta said she was going to stay with her
> uncle, Ludwig Kroll, Grant Ave. 32 No. Braddock, Pa.  Anna said she
> was going to stay with "Bril August Meyer c/o L. Kroll 32 Grant Ave.
> No. Braddock, Pa.
>
> Worth S. Anderson
>
> --- On Sat, 7/5/08, Harry Jansohn <hrjansohn at earthlink.net> wrote:

. . .   Otto
          " The Zen moment..." wk. of March 23, 2008-