[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] trip and question

Jerry Frank FranklySpeaking at shaw.ca
Tue Jul 8 05:09:41 PDT 2008

Carol,

I haven't seen anyone respond publicly to your
question.  It is possible that the places you
mention in Prussia were from the time before the
migration to Volhynia.  It is also possible that
your family spent a few years there after
Volhynia but before coming to North America.  Both migration patterns exist.

As for why Germans were in Volhynia, I'd suggest
you check some back issues of the Journal such as:

June 2004, "The Immigration of Germans into
Volhynia in the 19th Century" by Nickolas Arndt, translated by Richard Benert

March 2003, "Migration of German Farmers from
Gostynin to Volhynia, 1855-1885" by Albert Breyer, translated by Jerry Frank

There may be others.  You cannot necessarily
apply the reasons given in articles such as this
directly to the reasons possible for your
ancestors but they will give a general overview
of why and how this migration occurred.

Jerry Frank - Calgary, Alberta
FranklySpeaking at shaw.ca