[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] letter from Polish Archives / Paproc Duza

Worth Anderson worth_a at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 14 11:27:30 PDT 2008

Basically, yes, the letter is saying that whatever archives you got this from only has the Roman Catholic records up to 1859, and has a gap in their Lutheran records for the period you are seeking.  They direct you to another State Archives, but if you're looking for Roman Catholic records bear in mind that the Diocesan Archive for this area may also have a copy.   You may find it worthwhile to do a few searches in the SEZAM, PRADZIAD and ELA databases on the website for the Polish State Archives.  I did a quick search in the SEZAM database for the category of records "urzedy stanu cywilnego i akta metrykalne" for the Lomza branch of the Bialystok archives, and found that Fond No. 163 contains the Roman Catholic parish registers from 1860-1938.  Here is a loose translation of the text the archives sent you:

In answer to the question you sent, we kindly inform you that we have in our collection the birth Evangelical-Augsbergian birth records for the parish of Paproc Duza in the powiat of Ostrow Mazowiecki for the years 1837-1846, 1850-1865, 1890-1929 and the birth registers of the Roman Catholic parish of Czyzewo for the years 1808-1859, in which may appear the civil registrations (Akta Stanu Cywilnego) for the villages/inhabited places Zaniele Pikuly and Zareby Sasiny.

Because of that we cannot conduct a search for the birth record of Adam Cymer, born 18 March 1874 in Zaniele Pikuly or Zareby Sasiny.

Records from the Roman Catholic parish in Czyzewo after 1859 are preserved in the National Archive in Bialystok, Lomza Branch, Legionow Street 36 , 18 - 400 Lomza.

Best regards,

Worth S. Anderson