[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Mantei (and variants)

mantaj at gotadsl.co.uk mantaj at gotadsl.co.uk
Sat Jun 7 15:08:48 PDT 2008

I think my husbands family name MANTAJ was changed/corrupted when Sam came to England as German prisoner of war. Else nee Fechner (his wife) and their children left  Poland as refugees , she thought her husband dead. Finally, she received news that Sam had been captured by the Americans  and shipped to England. She later followed him. They both died here in England.

This information below was taken from documents granted in Poland (I think during the German occupation)  I believe the MANTEI family were ethnic Germans living in Poland at the outbreak of WWll.

My husband's late father was Samuel MANTEI b. Turbowice 6 March 1913. Samuels father was Rudolf MANTEI (b. 1885/86) who married first Marie SCHULZ (and secondly Olga SUTZE, I think). All records are marked Posnan and Evang-Lutharian Church Lowenstadt. Samuel MANTIE would have had step brothers and sisters.I think Samuel also had a brother Hermann MANTEI.

Other names are Else FECHNER, Daniel FECHNER, Emanuel FECHNER, Juliana RADKE, Justine SCHACHTSCHNEIDER, Samuel SCHULZ, Adam SCHULZ, Rosina FANDRICH, Gottfried FANDRIK, Moriama SCHINKEL and Johnna ZOLL.

I have found lots of (conflicting) information on this family but can get any concrete proof.
Any help/advice would be appreciated.

regards Margaret