[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Gregorian/Julian Calandar

Sigrid Pohl Perry perry1121 at aol.com
Sat Mar 1 08:19:45 PST 2008

Marlo,

I'm helping to index the Evangelical Lutheran records from the church in
Lublin, Poland. This was a region where the Gregorian calendar was
already observed, but when the Russian authorities arrived, they were
required to use the Julian calendar again. The pastors showed both
dates. I have examined information from several thousand birth, marriage
and death records from between 1868 and 1883, and almost all of them
give both dates which are usually twelve days apart. This is probably
the case for almost all records from about 1865-1900 from this region,
including Volhynia. I have also seen records from EWZ when the German
authorities resettled Germans from this area in 1940. Sometimes there
would be a discrepancy on the birth date of a parent when the records of
siblings were compared; often these dates would be about twelve days
apart. People didn't have calendars on their walls, nor did they
celebrate these days the way we do, so remembering which date was the
"right" one when two were always given must have been a problem!

Generally, when I extract a date I use the later date, the Gregorian
one, because that's the calendar we use, but I'm always mindful that if
I find another record for that person, there might be a twelve day
difference in the date, but it could still be the same person. We really
appreciate the care and hard work Gary Warner has in merging records
because this date issue hovers over everything.

Sigrid Pohl Perry