[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] baptists and lutherans

Jerry Frank FranklySpeaking at shaw.ca
Tue Mar 4 09:58:51 PST 2008

I've been away for a week so am just now catching up on this topic
thread by adding to Dave's comment.

Though he and others have had little success with finding their
ancestors in Lutheran records, others have.  There were those German
Baptists who migrated typically from the Lodz and Suwalki regions to
the district north of Pulin in Volhynia.  As Dave says, these people
would almost never be found in Lutheran records.

However, there were also those Baptists who converted from Lutheran
in Volhynia.  With such families you might find success in Lutheran
records.  Suppose you great grandfather Gustav was born in 1873 and
the family converted in 1875.  Your knowledge of the family indicates
the family was always Baptist when in fact Gustav's birth and infant
baptism would be recorded in the Lutheran Church.  Similarly, one
branch of the family may have converted while another didn't.  If you
have enough details, you may be able to make the association and use
Lutheran records to track back the other branch of the family.

Jerry Frank - Calgary, Alberta
FranklySpeaking at shaw.ca