[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Catholics and Evangelicals: Plock area

Worth Anderson worth_a at yahoo.com
Sun Mar 16 10:51:58 PDT 2008

To add to the discussion of persons of one faith found
in the records of another, I've recently found a
number of early Lutheran settlers (that is, adherents
to the Evangelical Augsbergian church) along the
Vistula in Roman Catholic records:

- Germans living in Miszewo Murowane and Bialobrzeg
recorded in the records for Miszewo Murowane Roman
Catholic parish.  This area was part of the Plock
Evangelical parish.

-- Germans living in Rakowo and Zakrzewo recorded in
the Zakrzewo Roman Catholic parish records.  This area
was part of the Wyszogrod Evangelical parish.

-- Germans living in Sady recorded in the Zyck Roman
Catholic parish records.  This area was part of the
Gabin (Gombin) Evangelical parish.

In one case, I found a Sady baptism recorded in both
the civil registration records for Zyck (Akta Stanu
Cywilnego) and also in the Roman Catholic register.
Each record had some information the other did not.
Also, the Catholic records have been useful in
bridging the gap between the end of the civil
registration records in 1825 and the beginning of the
Gabin parish register in 1832.

There may be a similar -- albeit smaller -- gap
between the end of civil registration in 1825 and the
beginning of the Wyszogrod parish register in 1826.
The Zyck catholic records contains an 1825 burial in
Zakrzewo for the child of an Evangelical couple.
However, the child's death does not appear in the
civil registration records.

The Roman Catholic records also have been incredibly
useful for the period before the beginning of civil
registration in 1808.  I was astonished to find
Germans (specifically, the Molzahn and Klammer
families of Rakowo) in the Zyck Roman Catholic parish
records as early as 1788/1789 -- i.e., before the
Partitions of Poland made that area part of Prussia.

Hope this helps someone,

Worth S. Anderson