[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Ship Manifest Emil Schmidt Help With Location

Jerry Frank FranklySpeaking at shaw.ca
Thu Mar 20 10:29:01 PDT 2008

Joan,

As mentioned in my previous post, I was puzzled by the district name
Gusk which appears in your record.  In looking at my map of Powiat
Sochaczow,  I saw that Ilow was shown as a principal town indicated
by a solid dot enclosed by a circle.  I looked for other principal
towns with the same designation and found Glusk in the far
northeastern corner of the Powiat near the south bank of the Wisla
River.  This is a short distance SW of Nowy Dwor.

2 km NW of Glusk is the village of Gniewniewice.  This is a known
German settlement and I am quite certain that this is your
Knewegoizet without too much stretching of changed letters and sound.

I would recommend that your first avenue of research be the records
available for Nowy Dwor.

Jerry Frank - Calgary, Alberta
FranklySpeaking at shaw.ca