[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Ukraine's Holodomor recalled

Nelson Itterman colnels at telus.net
Fri May 2 18:38:25 PDT 2008

Hello friends:

It is apparently the 75 Anniversary of the famine imposed by Soviet Dictator
Josef Stalin between 1832 and 1833 on the people of the Ukraine. As many as
10 million Ukrainians died of starvation. Many of our ancestors also starved
in the Ukraine at that time.

I visited the Ukraine on a pilgrimage with Don Miller, to see the place
where I was born. When we landed in Kiev a tour had been arranged with a
professional tour guide. I was amazed at the large and numerous memorials of
the victorious Russian Army in World War 2. I specifically asked the tour
guide is there were any memorials for the people that died in the famine.
She said yes, we were coming to it. There was just a small area on a wall of
a building that was the memorial.

Many Ukrainians believe Stalin forced the Holodomor, which means "death by
starvation" to quash Ukrainian independence from Russian Control.

The Ukraine declared Independence in 1991. The Russians withdrew from the
Ukraine and took all, I mean all, the farming equipment that was being used
in the collective farming operation. When I was there  in 2003 there was
very little land that was cultivated. The only land that I saw being
cultivated were the little garden plots behind the homes of the people. When
my family was there the Ukraine apparently was the bread basket of Russia.

I mourn for the Ukrainian people and the suffering they endured during the
occupation of their country. In November 2006, the Ukrainian parliament
passed a law recognizing Holodomor as an act of genocide. Daria Luciw,
president of the Ukrainian Canadian  Congress Alberta Provincial Council,
said there are many people in the world not fully aware of the Holodomor.
"It's important to raise awareness so that such a travesty never happens in
the Ukraine or any part of the whole world again".

I agree whole heartedly, and encourage everyone to help in publicize this
event

Nelson