[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] several miscelaneous questions - a clarification

Günther Böhm GHBoehm at ish.de
Tue May 6 00:32:46 PDT 2008

Helen Gillespie schrieb:
> Hi All,
>
> My parents were married in Burgstemmen, Kr. Alfeld, in
> northern Germany after the war (1947).  They have a
> Stammbuch in which their marriage particulars and the
> births of their first two children are registered and
> baptized.  Adolf Hitler's name is blacked out in one
> part - under a quotation about clean bloodlines - so I
> know this book is not post war!

Hello Helen,
in spite of the official certificates, the "Familienstammbuch",
"Ahnenbuch" and "Ahnenpass" were private documents (see
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ahnenpass ) initiated by the nazi
„Reichsverband der Standesbeamten Deutschlands“ (imperial association of
German registrars) as a tool of nazi "Volkserziehung" (people's
education) and edited in various designs and extents by various
publishers (by my father I inherited an "Ahnenbuch der deutschen
Familie" with the same layout of the certificates, 200 pages reaching to
the 7th generation and the heading nazi propaganda pages cut out).
> I am kind of sorry that there wasn't more information.
The certificates in the "Ahnenpass" were just copies of the parish or
CRO register entries.
> I wish I knew what happened to my grandparents' books.

Maybe they didn't have ones.
> I expect that the Standesamt and/or the church had
> these booklets and used them after the War as there
> wasn't much else available, I'm sure.

Unfortunately (or fortunately) the original registers had and have to
stay at their places of origin resp. the appropriate archives. So the
ultimate proof may be found in St. Petersburg or nowhere.

Günther